There’s something about shirtdresses that I haven’t been able to get out of my head. I’ve made the Alder Shirtdress and McCall’s 6696 in the past, but neither of them were quite what I was envisioning. I’ve seen so many good versions out in the wild, but nothing I made fit me the way the way I wanted.
(This is an inspiration dress from Anthro that I pinned SO LONG AGO. Maybe three years ago, even.)
Last year, McCall’s released m7351 and I used it for a bunch of sleeveless button ups (see here, and here). The fit through the bust is ace and I love the size of the collar. I’m not a fan of every variation offered in the pattern, but the bodice and sleeves looked like a good match for my inspo image above.
One weekend in the fall I found a length of a loosely-woven plaid in my stash (from my old local shop, PS Fabrics) and the timing felt right…
Besides using my own gathered skirt and doing a 1/2″ square shoulder adjustment, I didn’t make any adjustments to the pattern. At this point I’ve made so many button ups that plaid matching shouldn’t be so exciting, but dang I’m pleased with how this turned out. Figuring out cutting the placket is such a satisfying puzzle.
I don’t actually love the contrast inner collar, but it’s not super noticeable. And the buttons I picked up from Fleishman’s! They were supposed to be for Dan’s chambray shirt (which is still in a pile in my sewing room, oops) but I ‘borrowed’ them. It felt right!
Here’s a lil’ side view.
I’m not sure I pull this off as well as the Anthro model does, but I do really like this! I think next I need to find the perfect loose-fitting shirtdress pattern. Maybe with a dropped shoulder sleeve. I’m deciding between that, or another pair of woven Hudson pants, for the Euclid linen I’m holding onto…