rifle paper co // butterick 6052

rifle2

I’m so happy that I finally used the last of the Rifle Paper Co yardage I bought last summer! (Nevermind that I recently got some more in the mail…dang.)

I was saving this blue rayon for a dress I wanted to wear to a wedding in Hawaii last month. It was hard to motivate myself to sew a strappy, summery dress in the dead of winter, so I ended up waiting until the week before we left for our trip to finally get going. DUH. Self-imposed deadlines right before a trip – story of my life.

rifle7

The pattern is one of my favorites – Butterick 6052. I used it for the first time last summer (you can check that out heeere) but I made a couple of adjustments to this version. I removed more length from the straps, an extra 1/2″ bringing it to 1″ total, and used an easy gathered skirt  + pockets on the bottom half.

I think at this point people must be sick of the cold shoulder trend, but I will never not love these sleeves.

rifle4

rifle5

This fabric really is so lovely to sew. It’s a little bit more substantial than other rayon I’ve worked with, but that only makes it even more fluid and drapey. I used a light cotton lawn that I had in my stash for the lining, and it worked perfectly.

rifle6

rifle1

Here are a few photos from the wedding in Hawaii! We were celebrating our friends Aaron and Emily – it was so beautiful and so much fun. There was a passing rain shower during the ceremony (which is why we’re all wet), but it was perfectly sweet and goofy.

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

Some of my best friends and a handmade dress! Nothing better than that.

butterick 6052

b6052-4

I’ve had both this pattern and fabric in my stash, with plans to use them together, for a really long time. For one reason or another this project kept moving to the bottom of my (long) sewing list, but I finally stitched it up at the end of this summer! The pattern is Butterick 6052 and the fabric is a Joel Dewberry rayon from a couple years ago.

I made a muslin in May, and saw that I needed to bring in the straps and remove some gaping in the chest. I did this by slashing and overlapping a bit (somewhere in the 3/8″-1/2″ realm?) on the center front and center back bodice pieces. I also removed 1/2″ of strap length. Other than those minor-ish details, the sizing was perfect (I’m typically a size 10 in Big 4 patterns). I didn’t love the gored skirt though – it was the right size but the tight fit wasn’t really my style~*.

13129520_563123413850294_1116373983_n

Instead of the pattern’s options, I used a pleated skirt (based loosely off of the skirt from M6696) and I love how it came out! Rayon is really the perfect fabric for this pattern – drape is clutch here, especially in those flutter sleeves. Silk would ooobviously be pretty ace, as well. I think I might use the sleeves on an Ogden Cami (pattern by True Bias) in the future. They’re fully lined and just so lovely!

b6052-3

Here’s a lil’ view from the back. The invisible zip went in easily and holy cow, I love that v-neck.

b6052-2

Yay! I do love this dress. I think I’m going to use my final length of Rifle Paper Co. yardage (the rayon in periwinkle) for another version of this… but not until springtime probably. Until then I’m going to get as much wear out of this as I can before it gets too cold!

b6052