I’ve got two very-recent projects to share today! I made a lot of time to sew after work over the last two weeks, and it felt so good. Making time for myself to sew for an hour here and there is so essential to my mental health, it’s ridiculous. I can truly feel my body and brain buzzing when I don’t have that chance to sit down at my machine. I’m so grateful to have the space and tools to make things.
ANYWAYS. Last year I made my first pair of Ginger Jeans – and while I wear them all the time aaand love them, I’ve always wanted to make another pair that had a higher rise. Heather at Closet Case Patterns recently released the Mid-Rise Gingers as a standalone PDF, and instead of drafting it myself I lazily picked up the new pattern instead. I’m not even mad that the marketing ploy worked on me because they are the PERFECT rise and I didn’t have to use my brain.
I made the same size as my first pair, size 8, which is exactly right for my bod. I removed 1″ of length at the knees, though I think I could do a bit more next time (maybe 1.5″?). And I left these a little longer than last time, so I could cuff the bottom if I wanted. Other than that, I didn’t make any real modifications. Though I did get a ~little~ fancy and stitched flat felled seams along the in-seam – I feel like that makes them “real” jeans now.
Just a quick note, this a black denim from Threadbare Fabrics and it’s lovely.
My regular machine does a great job sewing through denim, but remembering how the topstitching thread did not work super well last year, I decided to try out this green beaut. Holy HECK using this lil’ guy was SO MUCH FUN. An added benefit was also not having to switch out the thread every few minutes to topstitch (instead, just switching machines), which felt luxurious. I found this Singer at the Resource Exchange, an amazing store right by my office, a few months ago and couldn’t just leave it there!
Here’s a look at some of the topstitching! I prefer non-contrast thread for jeans, so it’s not super obvious, but man. Love.
I’m going to share some photos of my booty now because it’s probably my favorite part of these jeans. I raised the pocket pieces 3/4″ higher than the pattern suggests, and they’re perfect (I think? at least).
Here I am contemplating my crotch curve… I’m just not sure about it. I know there are always going to be some wrinkles, but I’m wondering if I need to draw in a shallower curve? I don’t think the crotch length is too long or too short, which leads me to the “flat pubis adjustment” from Heather’s blog post about fitting adjustments. I do love this pair, but I’m thinking about for next time. Feel freeeee to let me know if you have any input!
I also made my first Lark Tee! The pattern is by Grainline Studio, and I didn’t really feel like I needed it until recently. I love my Lou Box Top shirts (see here for one, though I’ve made about 4 or 5), but I needed a true t-shirt in my wardrobe. I sized up so it would be a bit looser, and I’m feelin’ this fit. Instead of hemming the sleeves, I rolled them up and tacked them into place.
I used a Dear Stella knit, which is a great match for this pattern, and it’s so fun seeing this Scallop Dot print in a new substrate. The color is spot on, too. Such a great everyday outfit, wahoooo!